Episode 003 - The Adventures of Rudy Kazootie Review
![]() |
| A science thing? A science thing? Really? |
Episode Synopsis
Sabrina is forced to babysit a grown old man after a spell goes awry. Yep, that's the episode.Review
So, this episode is probably one of my least favourites. Not just so far, in general. It's super creepy that they really got this old man to act like a baby for the entirety of this episode and I hope this wasn't some sort of secret fetish he had.
Harvey is pretty much relegated to yet again being fawned over by Sabrina, but we learn that he wants to be a dentist. For a lack of Libby, I would've expected Harvey to be better and more prominent but no.
The 90s references are still lost on me, Randy Travis was worth a google and Sabrina saying MTV News actually floored me because I was so surprised, I almost thought it was a joke.
Rollerblah's and Popsi? Sign me up. I want a Popsi! Rollerblah's I can do without. It was interesting that it was Hilda to suggest Sabrina getting a job.
Sabrina saying she "even was one", ugh we never knew she was a child. The way she called during lunch and the mother was overwhelmed? Funniest scene in the episode for me. Also I wish my school did these billboard of jobs things, it always seems so fantastical for me to look back on even though I know it was probably a reality.
"Mitosis is" is one of the most memorable quotes from the series. Sabrina casually invited Harvey to babysit with her and the people she was babysitting for were okay with that? I'm putting it down to the 90s because that is so weird to me.
I love the fact that witches can casually solve global warming in this universe. Also, Sabrina's fashion sense is improving. I think some of her outfits are beginning to hold up.
Also, she says "gotta go" many, many times. This is a recurring thing which I never noticed initially and I just feel so stupid. I never realised how many times she says it. Every time she says it from now on, I'll be kicking myself!
Ruby's 18 months and this was filmed in 1996, so he would've been born sometime in 1994. He would now be 25-26, which is weirdly not that big of an age difference compared to me.
![]() |
| This episode is about what?! |
Harvey's fixation on mail boxes seems to be something that fades which is sad. I like these random quirks that they're giving him, also he said he wanted to be a dentist, he liked cooking...they give him all of these interesting things that fade which is kind of sad.
The way Harvey and Sabrina fail to study throughout the entire episode and Sabrina takes a break any time she isn't interrupted and the way she says "Science things" when she's late shows to me they haven't fleshed out her love for science yet.
I will stay forever on the hill that Sabrina should've done something with her love for science, rather than going into journalism.
Ah, the "be a big boy" passion spell. I'd just like to question whether this ever pops up again. "Mitosis is" more relevant than a passion spell in the grand scheme of the series. And what if Sabrina had said something like "please be quiet today so I can flirt with Harvey, I need this to go well" three times. There have to be passion spells that are a nightmare to reverse just because of how long whatever someone said was.
In this episode, I've gotten more of a grasp on the mother of Rudy than Harvey's character. Clearly they haven't yet established the key traits (other than sports).
This isn't really that relevant but Sabrina did a lot of running in this episode and when Harvey said that she "runs funny"? He wasn't lying. Why did they make this a random character choice? It cracks me up as much as Zelda saying that she's not an "alternative" couple, that is so 90s. Nowadays, they'd say gay flat out.
Considering this episode is about Rudy, you'd think I would mention him more. Well, you'd also think that he wouldn't creep me out. Unfortunately, you're wrong.
Also, the "asking for your email" made this so funny to me. I was cracking up at that. Sabrina Spellman saying she changed her name as a lie? The way she lied on her real dad. Honestly, how does no one think Sabrina's family is so weird? Aunts aside, every time something magical and weird happens, it's one of her "relatives".
![]() |
| In the midst of spell casting... |
Melissa's delivery in the classroom scene is so on point. The talent she possessed. She really brings up this entire show, I know some people rub on her acting but I think she's a really strong actress who can actually alter her vocal tone in her voice. Some people really need to learn to do that.
I really liked the quickly interrupted scene between Sabrina and Harvey, it was really nice and cute. A lot like the interaction they shared last episode but it's nice to see the slow burn beginning of their relationship and I'm feeling more connected towards Harvey the more Sabrina raves about him.
![]() |
| Maybe he isn't so bad. Maybe. |
Eddie Cibrian was another name I had no idea who he was. Embarrassing really. This is going to happen so frequently throughout the show. In some ways I really like it, it kind of dates the show but it's like a time capsule into this world I was never born in. In other ways, it's like...hmm. I do like that this is constant from the beginning, clearly the network had a lot of faith in Sabrina from day 1 to get a number of celebrity guests. This was really way before it hit its peak and it's still nabbing celeb after celeb, go Sabrina.
Intro
-
The intro line was just "I've got to better at this magic" and she's giving me Valerie in a later where Sabrina has the party and Valerie dresses up in a similar costume.
Special Effects
Sabrina making "rollerblah's" held up really well. It's not exactly a different thing to do. There weren't really many spells that required more than just a point and then some off screen thing happening to reinforce it did happen and I think that's a smart move to make the show look less dated.
Characters
- Sabrina - Undoubtedly, she carried this episode. I think we're getting a broader sense of the kind of girl Sabrina is. Yes, she's a "relatable teen girl" but they really made her feel real and someone to root for.
- Aunt Hilda - It was interesting that Hilda suggested the job rather than Zelda. Hilda has so far been the comic relief with not so much depth but I'm hoping that will change.
- Aunt Zelda - Liking Sabrina's teachers really starts early, huh? For once, I didn't really enjoy her. She was basically relegated to talking with Mr Pool and had nothing else of substance to do.
- The Kazootie's - The relationship between the father and mother was kind of weird, the dynamic was just never mentioned. The mother was presented as hysterical for comedy purposes but I just felt bad for her really. Rudy, well, I'm sure he's thriving now. I almost wish these guys had become recurring characters because there's not many people Sabrina has outside of her schooling life and her home life.
- Harvey - Literally watched sports on TV for the majority of the episode. Harvey's just pretty simple right now, there's not really been any spotlight on him whatsoever and that's to the detriment of his character, especially considering the quirks (baking, dentistry, mailboxes) all fade with time.
Freak Count - 07 (+1)
With the absence of Libby, is it any surprise there was no "freak" said towards Sabrina? I actually did miss Libby's presence in this episode and Jenny's as well, it felt a little more contained and it was nice not to see them in the same way because maybe Jenny and Libby were absent, who knows? In these shows, it's hard to think of times when the main character has to go at it alone because their friend is absent for a day or two.
Rating
This episode is a solid 3/10. I know that might seem harsh but this one I will definitely skip over. It does absolutely nothing for me and the only reason it's not lower is because I'm assuming there are much worse episodes later down the line.
Let's just not ask why this in a different font and the headings are spaced eventually when they look fine on Blogger until I preview the blog, truly a struggle.




No comments:
Post a Comment